Patient Information Leaflet - Repeat Prescribing
IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: When requesting any item which is NOT on your repeat list, please give a reason. Requests without a reason may not be processed.
Patients on repeat medication can order repeat prescriptions in a number of ways.
- Whichever method is chosen, we need a minimum of 48 hours (2 working days) notice to follow safe-prescribing processes. Please allow two full working days (if submitted before 14:00) for prescriptions to be processed and remember to take weekends and bank holidays into account.
- Our Practice policy is to prescribe 28 days’ supply. In exceptional circumstances individual cases will be considered by our GPs.
- Please see Patient information leaflet for full details.
- Patients on repeat medication will be asked to see a doctor, nurse practitioner or practice nurse at least once a year to review these regular medications and notification should appear on your repeat slip. This is to make sure patients are kept safe, are on the best dose of medication and in some cases to check if there are any adverse side effects.
- Please ensure that you book an appropriate appointment to avoid unnecessary delays to further prescriptions.
How to order your repeat medication:
- Online - using the following LINK .
- In person - post in the red prescription box next to reception.
- Email - to email@example.com.
- By post - please enclose a stamped addressed envelope.
The NHS Electronic Prescription Service is available from the Acorn Surgery. Prescriptions are sent direct to the Pharmacy of your choice without the need for a paper prescription.
Pharmacy Collection Service:
- If you wish to take advantage of the repeat prescription collection service organised by local chemists, you will need to speak to the individual pharmacy and they will explain their procedure to you.
- We are happy to send your prescription to a local chemist for dispensing and collection.
- We are fortunate that there is a Community Pharmacy on the same site as the Practice, with easy access from our main Patient Waiting Area.
- We enjoy an excellent working relationship with the Pharmacists and their dedicated team.
- They are happy to dispense any medications for patients and keep a well-stocked chemist’s shop alongside the dispensary.
- They can advise you on any minor illness and appropriate treatment.
Lost prescriptions or medication:
- Confirmation is needed that adequate steps have been taken to locate the lost prescription or medication before the request is passed to the GP.
- A note of the event will be recorded in the patient’s medical record.
- An incident report will be documented in the Practice records.
- For safety reasons, patients who have lost or had stolen prescriptions for medication liable to abuse must notify the Police and MUST inform the Practice of the incident/crime number before any further prescription is considered for issue.